I. Переведите следующие предложения, содержащие инфинитив.
Определите, в какой функции используется инфинитив.
1.This is quite the wrong point of view to adhere to.
2.Assume the base of the column to be finished has angles on the flanges.
3.There are four factors to consider in the design of this reflector.
4.Care should be used to obtain an ample amount of light in buildings in which men are to work.
5.Among possible sources of power for engines one has to consider the possibility of applying atomic energy.
6.The introduction of automatic controls will make it possible to control the output of lighting systems and reach the level of light required in the office.
7.Fixed collectors are less efficient than tracking collectors, but they are less costly to buy and maintain.
8.Concentrating collectors use mirrored surfaces or lenses to focus the collected solar energy on smaller areas to obtain higher working temperatures.
9.Gas turbine and diesel generators offer extremely flexible generation, though are used only to provide a small amount of energy.
10. Protective devices are installed on a power system to limit damage to equipment when inadvertent acts occur.
11.Air from either a balanced flue, or from inside the house is supplied to the burners to complete combustion.
II. Переведите следующие предложения на русский язык. Обратите внимание на перевод инфинитивного оборота «сложное дополнение».
1. Engineers consider the cyclotron to be the simplest and oldest type of an accelerator.
2.Scientists believe electrons in a synchrotron to travel on a circular orbit inside a narrow vacuum vessel.
3.They supposed the greater part of energy to be used for supplying plants in that region.
4.We observed the body dimensions change under different temperature conditions.
5.Any student must know a voltmeter to be used for measuring the potential difference between any two points in a circuit.
6.The electrician thinks these cables to disturb the reception.
7.Rollers not only cause a reaction to act at right angles to the supporting surface but also serve the purpose of allowing structures to expand and contract with changes in temperature.
8.The engineers wanted this phenomenon to be investigated in their laboratory.
9.Maxwell found the speed of propagation of electromagnetic waves to be equal to the ratio of electromagnetic and electrostatic charge.
III. Переведите следующие предложения на русский язык. Обратите внимание на перевод оборота «именительный падеж с инфинитивом».
1. The method proposed by the young engineer is known to be very effective.
2. A force is considered to act at any point on its line of action.
3. The Earth is supposed to have a shape similar to the shape of a ball.
4. The electric generator is known to be a machine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.
5. Alpha rays are considered to be positively charged helium atoms.
6. An electric cell is believed to consist of an electrolyte and two electrodes.
7. This voltage source was supposed to supply current for this circuit.
8. The value of the output voltage of the cell was found to depend only on the material used.
9. The secondary coil of the transformer is assumed to have more turns than the primary one.
10. Atomic nuclei are believed to be composed of protons and neutrons.
11. The point at which a body ceases to be elastic is termed the yield point, the body is then said to have undergone plastic deformation or flow.
12. Concrete piles are less likely to be injured in driving than wooden piles.
IV. Переведите следующие предложения на русский язык. Обратите внимание на перевод инфинитивного оборота с предлогом for.
For the pressure to be reduced to safe limits the foundations may be widened.
Eight minutes are required for light to travel from the Sun to the Earth.
For combustion to be rapid, fuel and oxidant must be quickly mixed.
For ions to be formed, a considerable amount of energy must be given to the parent atoms.
For a batch to have minimum per cent defective, goods are sampled for quality at different stages of production.
For information systems to respond quickly to queries, they are often computerized.
For security in a computer to be improved, a complicated password is often used.
For students to faster access files or to reach the Internet, a pencil-like stylus can be used.